Tuesday 2 September 2014

Where did summer go?

Summer started out pretty well: lots of sun, pleasant temperatures, cooling breeze in the evenings, just the way I like it. But after only a few weeks, there was a radical change: the sun was no longer anywhere to be seen, out of nowhere came strong winds and the word 'rain' doesn't even come close to the amount of water that poured down. I swear, there weren't even droplets, entire clouds were smashing down on the planet. At first, you like to believe it's just an off day. Then it's a bad week. And suddenly, it's been a whole month of rain, thunder and storms. Reality hit me when I was on my way back from the swimming pool (yes, I'm still strong!) and came across some beautiful mushrooms. Wait... Mushrooms? Don't they belong to autumn? And that's when it hit: not an off day, not a bad week, but a lousy summer, that was turning straight into autumn.

So there was only one thing left to do: photograph the pretty mushrooms and enjoy the change of the season.




When I got to work, the building across the road had some beautiful mushrooms as well, so I sneaked inside their garden and took a few more pictures:


Luckily, it was a really tame mushroom, and it would let me get really close!



(With my sincere apologies to anyone who was already or has now become trypophobic!)

On the way home, it turned out that I wasn't a moment too soon to capture its beauty for posterity, for the grounds manager had picked this very day to make the lawn look more presentable:


Lovely diagonal mowing, but wasn't that where my shroom was? Sadly, it was:



I didn't want to end on such a sad note, so here's another pic of shroomie in all its glory:


No comments:

Post a Comment