Saturday 6 September 2014

New best friend

Most of the pictures on this blog are either blatantly stolen off the internet, shot with my shiny phone or with my good old Canon Ixus 970 IS, which I found disrespectfully described somewhere on the internet as a 'bar of soap'.


Although the Canon has been a handy pal for years, it's seen better days. Lately, the pictures haven't been as clear as they used to be. They're not so much out of focus, but there appears to be quite a bit of noise, as if it's constantly requiring insanely high ISO-values. My guess is the imp inside the iconograph either needs a pair of glasses or is up for retirement.


I bought a second-hand Canon EOS 350 (Rebel XT), but I never really took a liking to it. I can't explain why, but the camera and I just didn't get along, meaning it just sat there in its bag.

The cloud pictures and last week's pictures of the mushrooms reminded me of the deteriorating state of my camera, and made me realise that it was time to step up my game. I always wanted to do 'something' with photography as well as shoot my very own pictures for this blog, and this was the time. So the Rebel was lovingly adopted by my dad, the Ixus will still be my buddy for easy travel, and for 'real photography' I found myself a new friend:


Did you see how easy I made that sound? Although you can probably guess that it took me 3 days to check out all my options and over an hour with a salesman before I'd actually made my decision.

To make sure I use it to its full potential, I've decided to stop playing around and take an actual photography course. That won't be anytime soon, so the first few pictures will probably still be crap, but expect to see an improvement at some point in the not too distant future!

No comments:

Post a Comment